Thursday, April 26, 2007

Striving Through Discouragement

It never fails! Every semester I get discouraged by all of the responsibilities I have and I feel like giving up. Being a mother of a two-year old and stepmother to two girls, one of whom has severe disabilities is a hard enough job as it is. Once classes are thrown in as well as practicum observations, it gets a bit hectic. There are so many nights when I want to relax or just go to bed after the kids are down, but I can't because that's when I have to do schoolwork. Since my husband works at night, most of my evenings are spent cooking dinner, doing homework, doing hair, giving baths, etc.
I had a discussion today with my cooperating teacher, who could tell I wasn't myself today. She did a great job encouraging me and letting me know she was here for me. She assured me that in a way student teaching is more demanding than having your own classroom, becasue you have so many other obligations to fulfill at the same time. Also since you're working in someone elses's turf you can't exactly do things the way you want and must accomodate that teacher.
I've also been worrying lately about how I will find time for my own children once I start teaching. It seems silly because most all teachers have children of their own. I suppose it's not any different from other careers, but the long hours that will come with the teaching profession have definitely been stressed throughout my education courses. Hopefully, by being as organized as possible, I will be able to be a great teacher, as well as a great mother.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can relate- it took me 11 years to finish my undergrad degree due to 4 births, 2 weddings, and 1 death.

Like you I had fears about putting other's children before my own. However, it worked out beautifully!

My children spent lots of time in my classroom when I was working late or there on weekends. They helped me with projects and bulletin boards. It was actually a wonderful way to bond. Having a less child friendly profession probably wouldnt have worked out.

I got off work about the time my kids got out of school. And during the summers, while I would have some work to do and training to attend, for the most part I got to be with my children and play.

As an early childhood major I learned lots of things that made me a good mother.

You have chosen the right career Angel. Stick with it. You won't be sorry.