Sunday, April 22, 2007

Protecting Our Students!

The tragedy at Virginia Tech has really caused me to think of my life, my future career and my family and put everything into perspective. The story of the Professor who was a Holocaust survivor and risked his life and died trying to save his students touched me deeply. It caused me to reevaluate what my role as a teacher will be. I took time and really thought about how I will be the protector of my children and questioned whether or not I could do the same heroic deed if something so terrible were to happen in a school in which I taught. I realize something like this could have happened in any school, whether college, elementary or high school. Although we never know how we'll react in such a situation, I hope to be a great protector of my students. When they are in my care, I hope to treat them as if they are my very own. Being the mother of a two year old, I would hope that my child's teacher would feel the same way about her and would protect her in such a situation.
My heart goes out to the families, students, and community of Virginia Tech. I can't imagine going through what they are going through right now. I'm sure this will be an event that will never be forgotten. I think it's a shame that our schools are so often invaded by violence. Parents can no longer feel safe when sending their children to school. What can we do as a society to fix this problem and help keep our students safe?

No comments: